Sunday, February 22, 2015

An Ode to Austin

I had just laid down in my bed to take a nap when my mom called me on Viber. Her and I are just getting used to this international technology so I thought nothing of it. I thought maybe she was testing it out or just calling to chat! Then she went on about how my sisters didn't want me to find out on Facebook and my heart sank. "Austin Ayers was in a car accident last night and he died," she said. I was absolutely shocked. There are no words that can express how I felt at that moment.

As you all know, Austin and I were never the kind that were attached at the hip but Austin has always held a very dear part of my heart. There is not one second of my life that I can remember when Austin wasn't in it. He was the first friend I ever had in Casey. We went to the same babysitter, we went to preschool together (He was my first boyfriend.... in preschool), and, bottom line, we grew up together. I always knew he was there for me and he knew I was there for him.

Austin definitely made fun of me more than any person I know. Especially when I started driving. I remember one of the first times I ever drove to school. I was driving and my mom was in the passenger seat. Here comes Al and Austin flying past us and when Austin and I got inside... he went on and on about how slow I was going and how close to the steering wheel I sat. He was laughing SO HARD and I don't think I lived that one down for quite some time. I remember him messaging me about when my family was having a hard time, I remember messaging him when he first found out they were having Ron.... I also remember him ruining the surprise my mom was giving me for my high school graduation. He was never too good at that kind of thing. :)

I hadn't seen Austin in quite a while until very recently. It was one of the last times I was actually out in Des Moines before I came to South Africa. He picked me out of the crowd, gave me a huge hug and then hung out with us and bar hopped with us for the rest of the night. It was so much fun and I was so happy to see him.

Austin was such an amazing person and we all know heaven has turned into one hell of a party.

My heart is hurting for the entire Ayers family as they learn to cope with this tragedy. There are no words that can make them feel better or make any ounce of their pain go away.

This is one time when I hate being so far away from home so... Ayers family, know that you are in my thoughts and prayers 24/7 and I love you all. You've all been there for my family more times than I can count. Please know that we're all here for you whenever you need and for whatever you need. You've got one hell of a support system behind you so be sure to use that to the fullest.

Austin, you were taken too soon and you will be greatly missed by so many.

Forever in my heart, friend.

Rest in peace.

This gem here was taken when I was probably in 8th grade and Austin in 7th. It makes me laugh out loud!
 

This was taken the night we ran into each other at the bar. The last time I saw him. A picture I will forever cherish.

1 comment: